Tuesday, August 20, 2013

MSU Welcome Week Day 2: 8/26

(Take a look at the welcome week schedule to find exact times).

Congratulations Spartans! You should be all moved into your new home now!

(Just kidding. It took me a month to finish unpacking, to set up my stuff, and to get organized. I didn't bring my organization stuff (or clothes hangers) the first few days, and then classes started, so I had to find time to set everything up).

Today is when returning students will move in! If your roommate is a returning student (aka a sophomore, junior, or senior), I hope you learn a lot from them! Don't be afraid to try and set rules, just because they're older than you. They were freshman once too! I will probably be moving in on the 25th, just because I have a lot of stuff to get ready to promote PASS for Sparticipation!

Today will be a busy day! There's a lot of events planned, try to go to as many as you can. Today is Convocation at the Breslin Center.

Last year on the Facebook groups, everyone was asking each other if we had to go to the Convocation, since it starts at about 8:45 AM. Hubbard wanted us all to be in front of the dorm at 8AM, so that we could all walk across campus together. Supposedly, Convocation was incredibly mandatory.

I didn't get a lot of sleep after move in, so I strongly considered skipping. But then I was thinking, what if they give you something (like a card or something) that you need to prove that you went? And I'm not much of a rule breaker, anyways. So, since I didn't sleep, I went. Let me tell you something, it was both a good and bad idea.

Basically, a bunch of important people at the University (like the president, provost, and representatives from each of the college) go up and make a speech, as well as the author of the One Book, One Community book. For last year, since the book was set in India, they had the Indian dance group (not sure of the name... sorry) go up and perform, which was amazing. They also brought the Spartan Dischords to sing, which was also cool. But, that was pretty much the extent of the coolness. That was the reason that going was a good idea.

The reason that it was a bad idea is because: the walk from East Neighborhood to the Breslin Center (near Brody Neighborhood) is ridiculously long. It is usually hot and sunny in Michigan in August. It was very boring, other than the dance performance and the song from the Spartan Dischords. They do NOT have a way to check if you went or not, which I should have realized, since there were around 8,000 incoming freshman. Also, I got lost finding my way back to East, because I have no sense of direction. (I did make it, though!)

Anyways! I would say, go for the experience. But if you don't want to, no big deal. Even if rumors float around that it is mandatory, it really isn't. But something that they said, which definitely made me think, was the reason they have the convocation: Your first day on campus, you will be in Breslin for a welcome orientation. And on your last day on campus, you will be in Breslin for graduation.

During Welcome Week, you can go to Career Services (which is near north campus, I think... It's across from Grand River, near the big spaceship) to get help with resources to go job hunting. I didn't go, because I already have a job, but my friend said it was helpful to get their resume sorted out!

Until 8PM that night, all the rest of the events are pretty much college-specific. If you're in a certain college, take a look at the schedule.

At 8, they have Moonlight Madness at Meijer! The buses will leave from Munn Ice Arena at 8PM, and you can ride them to Meijer for free!! They make this a huge, crowded event at Meijer--they have free food, entertainment, and give-aways. The buses are always super packed, so plan well!

I hope you had fun! Tomorrow is Sparticipation, and your last day before classes on Wednesday!

Go Green!
Rakuzen

No comments:

Post a Comment